If you’re looking to cleanse and detoxify your hair without drying or stripping it of essential oils, give natural clays a try. These clays are renowned for their healing, detoxifying, and absorptive qualities. They are affordable and effective. There are quite a few natural clays to choose from that are especially great for kinky, curly, and coily hair including bentonite clay, green clay, and kaolin clay, etc. This article will focus on the unique benefits of rhassoul clay for natural hair.
What is Rhassoul Clay?
Rhassoul clay, also known as Red Clay, Ghasshoul Clay, or Moroccan Clay is a natural mineral clay harvested from the Atlas Mountains of Morocco. This reddish-brown clay has been used by women since the 8th century for hair and skincare. The word rhassoul is derived from the Arabic word “ghassala” which means “to wash”. Rhassoul clay is similar to bentonite clay in many ways:
- it is negatively charged so it easily binds to positively charged toxins;
- it swells when added to water making it highly absorbent;
- and it is a fine silk-like powder.
However, rhassoul clay is unique from other clays in that it is the only clay composed of 100% minerals and trace elements. It boasts a higher mineral content including silica, potassium, magnesium, calcium, and other trace minerals so this makes it extremely beneficial for remineralizing and conditioning.
Rhassoul is excellent for drawing out impurities and toxins, removing product build-up, and cleansing hair without stripping it of natural oils. It nourishes hair with essential minerals and vitamins, moisturizing and softening the hair while it cleans. It also improves curl definition.
6 Benefits of Rhassoul Clay for Natural Hair
Rhassoul clay works especially well for dry hair and scalp because of its moisturizing and remineralizing properties. Rhassoul can be utilized as a shampoo, a hair mask, or a conditioner. Introduce it into your hair care regimen and see the difference it makes in your hair. It can be used as often as needed. But for beginners, try it at least once a month and experiment with frequency from there. The benefits of afro-textured hair include:
- Reduces dryness
- Reduces flakiness
- Clears clogged pores in the scalp
- Improves hair elasticity
- Aids in detangling
- Reduces frizz
- Soothes scalp problems such as psoriasis and dandruff
How to Use Rhassoul Clay
- Mix about 1 part rhassoul clay with 1 part warm water. (Portion will vary based on hair thickness and length. However, try ½ cup to start)
- Add 1-2 tbsp of your preferred oil (i.e., coconut oil, EVOO, etc.)
- Mix ingredients to desired consistency
- Apply the mixture to the scalp and length of the hair. Work in small batches to ensure the scalp/hair is completely covered. Let sit for a minimum of 5 minutes or up to 30 minutes (use a plastic cap).
- Do not allow the mixture to dry on the hair
- After the desired time, rinse the product out, thoroughly
- If desired, apply conditioner and/or moisturizer
Try these great add-ins to get the most out of your rhassoul clay experience:
- raw honey
- aloe vera juice
Caution: Use only plastic, glass, or wood utensils and mixing containers. Do not use metal containers or utensils as these will contaminate the clay and lower its effectiveness.