If you are struggling with moisture retention as you transition from fall to winter; read on. Those with kinky, coily, or curly hair know that our hair needs moisture to maintain its health, and elasticity and to prevent breakage, especially in dry, cold climates. Our hair thrives in a moisture-rich environment. Water is one of the best ways to add moisture to our hair. It is the first ingredient found in this leave-in followed by a wealth of other emollients and moisturizers that benefit our hair and scalp during the winter season. Pamela Jenkins, founder of Koils by Nature promotes the Moisturizing Shealoe Leave-in Conditioner as a detangler and a moisturizer. This product is described as: “An excellent creamy herbal infused conditioner and detangler intended to smooth the cuticle and remove knots, snarls, and tangles from thick kinky textured hair. “
This brand is proud to promise that its products do not contain parabens, sodium lauryl sulfate, sodium laureth sulfate, phthalates, propylene glycol, mineral oil, PBA, petroleum, paraffin DEA, synthetic color, or animal products. Now that we know what it doesn’t have, let’s look at what it does have and how these components, in addition to water, contribute to your hair’s moisture:
- Aloe vera is well known for its healing and anti-inflammatory properties. But the benefits of aloe vera don’t end there; it easily penetrates hair and scalp, conditions moisturizes, and creates a smooth shine.
- Burdock root contains essential fatty acids and phytosterols. It also has astringent and antibacterial properties to improve the overall condition of your hair and scalp while adding sheen and hydration.
- Nettle leaf is rich in both silica and sulfur and has a reputation for decreasing hair loss. It is said to promote softer, shinier, and healthier hair.
- Aloe vera, burdock root, and slippery elm all produce mucilage, a key component that provides much-needed “slip” in the detangling process.
The full ingredient list can be found at the end of the article.
This leave-in looks like a thick milkshake, with the consistency of a lotion and has a sweet herbal scent to it.
I have fine, low density, highly porous hair and tried this product to test its moisturizing benefits. I used this product directly after washing and conditioning my hair and before sealing it with oil. I generally do not follow with a butter or cream because they tend to weigh down my hair due to its low density so I was truly able to test out the product on its own.
Not only did this product melt away my tangles and knots but it also drenched my hair with moisture. Having highly porous hair, it is typical for my hair to dry in a matter of minutes. When I used this after my wash routine, my hair stayed wet [not damp] for hours – unheard of for my hair. If for no other reason than this, I would give this leave-in an A+, but it did so much more.
My twist out was extremely defined, shiny, and very springy which I attribute to the added moisture that was in my hair. Plus, I did not have to re-moisturize until Day 3, even in the changing fall weather.
- Absorbed into my hair immediately without leaving a white cast
- Contains natural ingredients that are good for your hair
- Did not create buildup
- Did not require a lot of product during the application so this will last for quite a while given its size
- My resulting twist out was super shiny and defined
- I’m not a fan of sweet-smelling products but this one dissipates pretty quickly so the smell is not overpowering and does not linger on your hair for days
The Moisturizing Shealoe Leave-in Conditioner adds plenty of moisture to your curls and also detangles hair like a dream. There are so many natural ingredients; oils, butters, herbs and plant extracts that are captured in this one single product and somehow they all work together to produce a leave-in that works. In this woman’s opinion this product lives up to its name and promise. Pamela, founder of Koils by Nature, has created magic in a bottle, at least for me.
So if you are looking to amp up the moisture content in your curls consider Koils by Nature’s Moisturizing Shealoe Leave-in Conditioner this winter. For those who need a butter or cream and are looking to boost your hair’s moisture, check out our haircare article “Butter Love – what your hair needs”.