Is Deep Conditioning Good for Curly Hair?
If you’ve got hair, especially if it’s kinky, coily or curly hair, you should be deep conditioning. Curly hair is fragile because of all the bends and curves in the hair strand. These bends and curves also make the hair prone to dryness and breakage. Your hair’s natural sebum (moisturizing oils) have a hard time making it down the shaft of your hair.
Deep conditioning is a great way to restore moisture, strengthen, repair and make hair more manageable and less vulnerable to breakage.
How Do You Find the Right Conditioner for Your Hair’s Porosity?
Finding the right conditioner for your hair boils down to one important characteristic – porosity.
If you’re using the wrong conditioner for your hair’s porosity, you might be hurting your hair, not helping it. For example, low porosity hair can often be protein sensitive. So, if you’re using a conditioner that is chock full of proteins, it may actually make your hair feel dry, hard and coarse.
If you’ve already got a good grasp of porosity, dive right into our top 6 deep conditioners for low and high porosity hair. Based on best selling products, and customer feedback, these products and results won’t disappoint.
Best-Selling Deep Conditioners for Low Porosity Hair
- Jessicurl – Deep Treatment. This deep treatment is full of great ingredients like cocoa butter, shea butter, avocado oil, marshmallow root and more. It is a consistent performer and a customer favourite. Use with heat for 20 – 30 minutes. Leaves hair feeling managed and moisturized.
- Kriya Botanicals – Low Porosity Deep Conditioner. The Kriya line is new to us. Our customers have quickly fallen in love with it. Using the best products that nature has to offer, including kale, spinach, grape butter and shea butter, this deep creamy deep conditioner gets the job done. Use with heat for 20 – 30 minutes. Leaves hair feeling soft, flexible, and rejuvenated.
- Naturalicious – Moroccan Rhassoul 5-in-1 Clay Treatment. Yes, clay treatments are best known and used for cleansing your hair, but we’re also recommending it for its deep conditioning properties. This pre-mixed clay treatment does the work of 5 different products. It’s a detoxifying cleanser, a smoothing conditioner, a detangler, a deep conditioner, and a leave-in. What more could you ask for? Place hair in a plastic cap for 30 minutes. Your curls will be popping and moisturized.
- Remember: low porosity hair strands have closed cuticles, so water and/or products sit on top of the hair.
- The hair needs to be manipulated (see next point) to open so that they can receive all of the benefits from your deep conditioner.
- Low porosity hair types should always deep condition using heat. Sit under a dryer, a steamer, or use a hot/warm towel and a plastic cap, or even your body heat.
- Use protein cautiously, as those with low porosity hair can be prone to protein sensitivity (depending on the hair’s texture).
Best-Selling Deep Conditioners for High Porosity Hair
- Inahsi – Mango Hemp Restorative Deep Conditioner. Rich in protein and moisturizing ingredients, this deep conditioner will strengthen and help return moisture to your hair. Leave on for 5 – 30 minutes.
- Kriya Botanicals – High Porosity Deep Treatment Masque. Kriya caters to low and high porosity hair types alike. This moisturizing and fortifying deep treatment contains royal jelly, mango fruit, papaya extract and hemp butter. Leave on for 5-15 minutes and walk away with softer, stronger hair.
- Tgin – Honey Miracle Hair Mask. A classic favourite. This deep conditioner melts right into your hair with ingredients like honey, aloe, and jojoba oil. It infuses intense moisture and easily removes tangles.
- Remember: High porosity hair strands are very porous because the cuticles are always open.
- This hair type loses moisture as easily as it absorbs it. So it is critical to seal in moisture.
- Try layering your products to help keep the moisture in.
- Make use of products with protein to help strengthen weakened strands.
Make deep conditioning a part of your regular routine and, most importantly, find conditioners that cater to the special needs of your hair’s porosity. Our best-selling conditioners will help you on your journey to healthy hair.
Tell us which deep conditioners you love.